Browns' Gordon practices for 1st time since '16

Browns' Gordon practices for 1st time since '16

linlybest
MUNFORD, Tenn.   Mystery winners in Tennessee, Florida and California should get their affairs in order before they claim their thirds of the unprecedented $1.6 billion Powerball jackpot, lottery officials advised Thursday.

The lucky trio bought their tickets in Munford, a town of about 6,000 in Tennessee; in the modest Los Angeles suburb of Chino Hills; and at a supermarket in Melbourne Beach, Florida, where residents of a nearby housing development were heard partying loudly after Wednesday night's drawing.

The winners of the world record jackpot overcame odds of 1 in 292.2 million to land on all the numbers: 4 8 19 27 34 and Powerball 10. They can let the jackpot arizona cardinals jerseys for sale be invested and thereby collect 30 annual payments totaling an estimated $533 million, or take their third of $983.5 million in cash all at once.

Getting such a windfall is the start of a "new journey" and the winners should be prepared with lawyers, accountants and financial planners before they come forward, California Lottery spokesman Russ Lopez said.

But they shouldn't wait too long: California gives its winners a year 49ers jerseys for sale to contact lottery officials before the money automatically goes to schools. Winners in Tennessee and Florida must claim their winnings within 180 days.

The huge draw also produced eight $2 million Power Play winners and 73 $1 million winners nationwide who matched all five white balls but missed the red Powerball, said Sally Lunsford of the Kansas Lottery.

The California ticket was sold at a 7 Eleven; the Florida ticket at a Publix supermarket and the Tennessee ticket at a family owned grocery store, where the owner, Dana Naifeh, received a $25,000 check.

"I need to digest this," said Naifeh, who plans to share some of her modest bounty with store employees.

Naifeh told CBS affiliate WTVF her oldest daughter would be headed to the University of Tennessee soon and said she would also be a recipient of the Hope Scholarship.

Florida's store collects $100,000, and California's $1 million bonus will be shared between the Chino Hills store owner and the 7 Eleven company.

The California store and its surrounding strip mall suddenly became a popular gathering spot in the rural suburb of 78,000, where cows still graze on hillsides. CBS Los Angeles reported hundreds of people crowded into the 7 Eleven store, chanting "Chino Hills! Chino Hills!"

Store owner Balbir Atwal worked as an electronics salesman after emigrating from India in 1981, and bought his first 7 Eleven franchise at the age of 27. Now he owns four. He said he has sold winning tickets before, but never like this one.

Balbir Atwal, a franchisee, and 7 Eleven will share a $1 Million retailer bonus for selling the winning ticket. He said he would share his part of the store's bonus with employees and family, and give some to charity.

The clerk who sold the winning ticket, M. Faroqui, told CBS Los Angeles he's very excited.

"It's my pleasure, I am very proud, and I am really excited too," said Faroqui, who said he didn't know who won.

"I have no idea because [the] last cheap titans jerseys three days, very crazy. "I'm happy it's in Chino Hills. I think it put us on the map   all over the world," he said, adding that his brother called from Australia overnight to learn if he won.

For Wednesday night's drawing alone, Powerball sales totaled $1,270,206,274. People were buying 37,000 Powerball tickets a minute in California, where $386 million in Powerball tickets were sold since Nov. 4, the most of any state and more than California sold in the entire previous fiscal year, spokesman Russ Lopez said.

"You get a lot of new players with a large jackpot," California Lottery Director Hugo Lopez said. "Our goal is to have a lot of people play a little bit."

A big chunk of the profits go to California schools, although not enough to solve all their budget problems, officials said.

In Melbourne Beach, neighbors were gossiping that the winner might be someone in a housing development several miles from the Publix where loud partying could be heard after Wednesday night's drawing, according to Lisa Londini, a professional caregiver who was shopping at the market Thursday.

"The winner could be as close as your neighbors!" she said, visibly excited. "I wish it was me!"

"(We're) very excited for the customer, or customers, that may have purchased that winning Powerball ticket," a Publix representative said Thursday morning in an impromptu news conference outside the Melbourne Beach store, CBS affiliate WKMG reported.

Meantime, a 19 year old man from Sanford will collect $2 million for matching all five white numbers and the multiplier, Florida lottery officials said.

Frederick Walker, who celebrates his birthday in a few days, went to Tallahassee Thursday morning to claim his prize, the station said. He purchased it from Sav A Ton in Lake Mary. There were also 11 $1 million winners in Florida.